Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Another Day, Another Disease

Still alive in Africa. Thought I had malaria last night. I'm not really even sure what the symptoms of malaria are, but any time I have any symptoms while I'm here I just assume its malaria. I went to sleep with a headache, dizzyness, slight chills, and a very upset lower digestive tract. I woke up dizzy, with no headache, no chills and a very tentative lower digestive tract. As the day went on I realized that whatever I had was not malaria. I felt fine by the early afternoon. The malaria crisis will have to wait for another day.

I'm not sure what I've done since the last time I wrote and I'm too tired to go back and look, so some of this may be repetitive. I promise to go back and edit whenever I get back home. Anyway, the last few days have been a lot of resting and relaxation. On Saturday I played soccer with a bunch of very cool neighborhood kids. It started raining while we were playing, but we played on. Actually due to the high altitude and the fact that I'm really really not in shape, I played for about 10 minutes and then took pictures the rest of the time, but it was so much fun anyway.

The next morning we went to church and three of the soccer boys were sitting on the curb across from the church. We went ahead in and I kept thinking I needed to go get them and make them come into church with us. The problem is I only know how to say "hello", "how are you", "I'm fine", "Good Morning" and "Good evening". When I finally decided to just go out and make a fool of myself with gestures and facial expressions that seem as foreign as the language, I look up and see that my three friends had come into the church and sat in the three seats right next to me. That was awesome. We spent the time until church started looking at the pictures in my camera from the day before. I bonded with those kids and I miss them already. Beautiful, beautiful kids.

I don't know what we did Monday. I'll try to remember and tell you later.

Today we visited a clinic here in Kigali. It is amazing. Check it out: http://www.we-actx.org/. I'll write more about that later. I'm tired. I'm going to sleep.

No comments: