Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Leaving and Staying

In a few hours I'll be getting on a plane headed for New York City. After 3 days frugally spent in the city, I'll be boarding a train and heading up to spend the next month at Camp AmeriKids. I have spent 7 of the past 8 summers working at camp, and I'm looking forward to another great year. I think this year might be interesting as several of my favorite camp people are unable to come back this year for various and sundry reasons. That means I'll have to develop new relationships with new people. Developing new relationships with new people is something I both love and hate at the same time, so I go into these kinds of experiences with fear and loathing and anticipation and exhilaration. But no matter how hard or easy or exhausting or whatever camp is every year, it is always an amazing experience and I always come away feeling like I've gained years-worths of knowledge.

It also occurred to me that my very first posts on this blog were about camp, too, so that means I've been blogging here for about a year. That's quite a milestone. That makes this the only journal I've ever been able to consistently keep up with for any significant amount of time. Thats pretty cool.

And finally I leave you with this: the (temporary) answer to the delimma of where I'm going. (Remember the posts about Africa and NY and California and all that?) Here it is. The answer and the reason I don't believe in making plans: I'm not going anywhere. You heard me right. I'm staying in the place that was at the very bottom of my list of places I wanted to be. Right here in my hometown. I decided to spend the next year getting my teaching certification and when I did, doors started opening up all over the place. Not that the doors aren't complete with hoops through which I have to jump, but the doors just flung open wide. I mentioned the fact that I would soon be looking for a teaching position to someone and by the next morning I had an interview. By the next week I had an offer from that district as well as another. And all that without sending out a single application. So now I am spending a considerable amount of energy getting all my papers and credentials and transcripts and whatever else in order. And for at least the next 9 months I will be a middle school math teacher. It seems like a good step. I will feel more equipped when I decide to go teach in Africa and it will afford me more opportunities if I end up in California or back in NY. I can start making a grown-up salary and I'll be able to get assistance paying off my student loans. So into the classroom I go. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job christopher! you better tell lajuan i said hi and i miss him if he shows up to camp! have fun and don't forget to bring me a new shirt home!

Anonymous said...

Have a great time at camp. Will Joi be there?

-thesciencegirl